Downtown Sound, Millennium Park’s popular Monday night music series, is expanding this year to Mondays and Thursdays. The series showcases contemporary, electronic, and world music artists, in addition to its eclectic mix of cutting-edge indie rock, pop bands, and rock veterans. Concerts are now scheduled to start on June 1 and conclude July 23. All shows begin at 6:30pm.
The Millennium Park band shell is an amazing setting to view live music and performances. Located off the corner or Michigan Avenue and Randolph Street, just east of the ‘Bean’, one can sit in the seats or enjoy various performances from the spacious lawn area. The panoramic view of the city’s skyline is awe-inspiring. It is extremely child-friendly and it is the norm to find folks in the audience from 1 to 90 years old. Bring a picnic supper and your drink of choice and enjoy the show! Beer, wine, soft drinks, and food are available from many vendors around the park.
This year’s line up is as follows. All shows begin at 6:30pm except where noted:
· June 1 6:30pm - San Fermin and Sō Percussion
· June 4 - The Very Best and Glass Lux
· June 8 - Andrew Belle and Birds of Chicago
· June 11 - The London Souls and Eggnoise
· June 15 - The Mighty Diamonds and Charley ‘Organaire” Cameron
· June 18 - Hayes Carll and Mother Falcon
· June 22 - Active Child and Matt Ulery
· June 25 - Snarky Puppy and Coast Percussion
· June 29 - Poi Dog Pondering and Caroline Smith
· July 2 - Antibalas and Sonny Knight and The Lakers
· July 6 - King Sunny Ade and Mathew Tembo
· July 9, 8pm - Matthew Sweet and In Tall Buildings
· July 13 - Ondatrópica and elado Negro
· July 16 - Murder By Death and Banditos
· July 20 - Los Cojolites and David Wax Museum
You may not recognize many of the names, but do not be afraid take a chance. First of all, the price is right: FREE. And to picnic in an amazing venue under the stars is well worth the journey downtown. Here is a link to the website describing the acts and also providing links to the artist's web sites. Downtown Sound
Millennium Park has plenty of bicycle parking and is accessible easily via public transportation from every Planned Property Management building. All PPM buildings have a safe and secure bicycle storage area.